Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Home Nice N'Safe

I arrived safely at the Cincinnati Airport last night (Aug.5th) around 7:00pm. I stepped off the plane and wanted to sprint to the end of the gate to see my family, but I restrained and settled for a fast-paced walk instead. I began weeping and through my tears I could see them far far away. Eventaully I made my way over to them and hugged them for about 5 minutes each! It was so sweet to see them again! Sometimes you don't realize how much you love someone until they're gone.

We pulled into the driveway and I felt like Bill Gates. My house seemed huge and incredibly clean considering there wasn't any dirt piled up in the corners or rats or mosquitos. There was carpet and clean running water and electricity. The air outside even seemed cleaner. This doesn't say much though. I was always breathing in dirt while I was in Malawi and they burn their garbage too, so the air there was always disgusting. So to say the least, being home felt foreign, yet refreshing.

When I woke up this morning, my body felt new but my heart was sad. In fact, it seems like my heart has been weeping all day. It feels broken. Broken from the stories I've heard of people's lives. Broken because I miss Jackson and Mercy. Broken from guilt...that I live a life of luxury while there are people I love on the other side of the world fighting hunger and HIV just to stay alive.

The transition will be tough.

No comments:



Taco. Short for Takondwa. I stayed with this little boy's family in Matapila. He always came in room unexpectedly...so sweet

Kids at the water hole.

I took this picture at one of the feeding centers. They are more than likely orphans, there to get food.

This is Rosaline. She's about 2 months old and has a sweet twin brother named Chisomo.

Play day at the Crisis Nursery. We try to get the infants outside to enjoy the sun whenever we can.

These were just a few of the women waiting for us when we arrived in their village, Chiwangam'be. We bring them medical assistance once a month.

Mphatso is one of the orphans I like spending time with most. He tries to take care of other babies in the nursery by stroking their faces when they are upset. It is so sweet!