Friday, August 8, 2008

A Few Final Thoughts

1. Malawians are happier than most people in the U.S. despite their position of poverty. This is because they know how to separate money from happiness. In the U.S. it is completely different. We are wired to believe that happiness depends upon money and vis versa.



2. To me, there is no greater investment than investing in the youth of Malawi. We can do this through time, energy, prayer, and donations. The kids expect nothing, but feel blessed by everything. To me, that's worth investment.



3. In the U.S. we value independence: our own car, living on our own, being on our own agenda, etc. In Malawi, they value community instead of independence. Nearly every family lives with at least 1 extended family member. If one person has food, the person next to him/her will not go hungry. Basically, they hold their possessions lightly, ready to use them at any moment for someone else, as needs arise.


In general, my trip to Malawi feels like a beginning, not an end. It feels like the introduction instead of the conclusion. In other words, my work in Malawi is not finished. I want to go back, but I'm not sure at what capacity.

I would like to bring home with me some things I learned from Malawian culture. The biggest thing is living less extravagantly--only having what I need. And after visiting Africa for 5 weeks, I realize I should probably redefine the term "need".

No comments:



Taco. Short for Takondwa. I stayed with this little boy's family in Matapila. He always came in room unexpectedly...so sweet

Kids at the water hole.

I took this picture at one of the feeding centers. They are more than likely orphans, there to get food.

This is Rosaline. She's about 2 months old and has a sweet twin brother named Chisomo.

Play day at the Crisis Nursery. We try to get the infants outside to enjoy the sun whenever we can.

These were just a few of the women waiting for us when we arrived in their village, Chiwangam'be. We bring them medical assistance once a month.

Mphatso is one of the orphans I like spending time with most. He tries to take care of other babies in the nursery by stroking their faces when they are upset. It is so sweet!