Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Safe Arrival!

I arrived here in Malawi safely yesterday. Feneck, an administrator here at Ministry of Hope picked me up. After filling out a "lost luggage" form (ah! incredibly frustrating!), Feneck took me to exchange dollars for Kwacha, which is Malawian currency. He took me to the grocery too, where I just picked up some staples: fruit, peanut butter and jelley, and bread. I'm not really sure what food to buy yet. I could barely make it around the store lol.

After I arrived at the Ministry of Hope house, I walked to the crisis nursery with a girl named Rachel. Rachel is a nursing student in Texas and has spent her whole summer here. She leaves on August 1st. There are 27 orphans at this crisis nursery, however Ministry of Hope touches the lives of 3,000 orphans around Lilongwe in some way. Most of the infants at the nursery have lost parents to AIDS. Each of them has a unique story, which I look forward to learning more about.

No comments:



Taco. Short for Takondwa. I stayed with this little boy's family in Matapila. He always came in room unexpectedly...so sweet

Kids at the water hole.

I took this picture at one of the feeding centers. They are more than likely orphans, there to get food.

This is Rosaline. She's about 2 months old and has a sweet twin brother named Chisomo.

Play day at the Crisis Nursery. We try to get the infants outside to enjoy the sun whenever we can.

These were just a few of the women waiting for us when we arrived in their village, Chiwangam'be. We bring them medical assistance once a month.

Mphatso is one of the orphans I like spending time with most. He tries to take care of other babies in the nursery by stroking their faces when they are upset. It is so sweet!