Saturday, July 26, 2008

Nursery News

Every time a baby leaves us (through foster care or adoption), another one takes it spot. It seems like it happens before I can even blink. The nursery is at full capacity and there is simply no room to keep taking in babies.

There was recently a set of twins that went into foster care and 2 new babies filled their spots within 32 hours. The first new baby, Matthews, is so sweet and healthy too. His mom died of HIV positive symptoms and his dad is expected to die of "very similar symptoms." When someone has HIV around here its kept very hush hush. Its seen as embarrassing and unclean. So most of the time its kept under the table, which doesn't help prevention.

The other new baby was rescued from his mother that went insane after giving birth. The police found the baby lying on the ground and the mother sucking milk from her own breasts. She had given her son a name that means "hopeless and poor" in Chichewa. Although that name will still be on the birth certificate, we have given him the nickname Noah.

Two days ago I went to the hospital to get 8 of our babies tested for HIV. Myself and 3 other ladies piled in the car with babies on our laps. Completely illegal in the States. We made sure we took Matthews with us, considering his parents both died most likely because of AIDS. We are anxiously awaiting the results and praying that everything comes back negative. We want the brightest futures possible for these kids!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Amy, I just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you. I love reading your blog and hearing about the great things you are doing. I can't wait to see you when you get home!

Joanna

Kristine Fox said...

Hi Amy, my mom told me about your blog and I love reading about your adventures over there. I'm so proud of everything you're doing to help these kids out. You are truly an amazing person and I'm honored to be your cousin :) Keep up the good work and come home safe.

Love you,
Kristy

Unknown said...

I can't stand being apart from you. Hope we will get to see each other soon after you get home. love you and miss you like crazy!!



Taco. Short for Takondwa. I stayed with this little boy's family in Matapila. He always came in room unexpectedly...so sweet

Kids at the water hole.

I took this picture at one of the feeding centers. They are more than likely orphans, there to get food.

This is Rosaline. She's about 2 months old and has a sweet twin brother named Chisomo.

Play day at the Crisis Nursery. We try to get the infants outside to enjoy the sun whenever we can.

These were just a few of the women waiting for us when we arrived in their village, Chiwangam'be. We bring them medical assistance once a month.

Mphatso is one of the orphans I like spending time with most. He tries to take care of other babies in the nursery by stroking their faces when they are upset. It is so sweet!