Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mzungu! Mzungu!

Muzungu means "white person" in chichewa. I hear it everywhere I go... it makes me feel like a celebrity.

There is a particular group of children that live near me in Lilongwe. When I leave my house they sometimes chant "mz-un-gu! mz-un-gu!" They get a rhythm going by clapping their hands and stomping their feet, making a song out of it. When I walk past them they fall silent and stare at me as I walk by. Sometimes its fun to reach out and let the kids touch my hands and feel my white skin. They'll usually reach out to touch me, laugh, and run away.

I thought that peoples' reaction to my skin color was extreme in the city until I went to the village. On my way home from school one day I stopped to talk to a guy on the side of the trail selling earth nuts. After our 5 minute conversation was finished, I turned to continue my walk home and saw 10-11 little girls staring at with big eyes and open mouths. I didn't realize I was drawing in such a crowd!

The best was the time I was walking to a feeding center with my friends Stella and Agnes. We walked past a family that was working in a field. I could barely see them, but just as I walk by I heard a little girl begin to cry. After exchanging a few words with the Father, Agnes assured me that I was the first mzungu that this little girl has ever seen.

In the Bible, a Book called Acts talks about one of the apostles, Peter, performing miracles. It says, "The people placed their sick on mats in the streets, hoping that when Peter passed by, at least his shadow might fall on them. Crowds came from all the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those who were bothered by evil spirits and all of them were healed."

These situations help me taste a fraction of what Jesus and Peter felt. Although they weren't known for the color of their skin, but for healing people.

No comments:



Taco. Short for Takondwa. I stayed with this little boy's family in Matapila. He always came in room unexpectedly...so sweet

Kids at the water hole.

I took this picture at one of the feeding centers. They are more than likely orphans, there to get food.

This is Rosaline. She's about 2 months old and has a sweet twin brother named Chisomo.

Play day at the Crisis Nursery. We try to get the infants outside to enjoy the sun whenever we can.

These were just a few of the women waiting for us when we arrived in their village, Chiwangam'be. We bring them medical assistance once a month.

Mphatso is one of the orphans I like spending time with most. He tries to take care of other babies in the nursery by stroking their faces when they are upset. It is so sweet!