Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Donations Needed: Beyond Blankets and Beds

When I approach the Infant Crisis Nursery I can hear faint cries of the babies inside. The mixture of porage and bleach is a distinct smell that I've associated with the nursery. There are 28 orphans inside. None of them have mothers and the fathers may or may not be around, but they are incapable of caring for the babies nontheless. Formula, beds, blankets, diapers, and mosquito nets are just a few donations that have made the nursery possible.

Its beautiful, but the biggest donation the nursery needs is love.

Its the truth. Once I realize a baby is crying, I go through the list of things possibly wrong: I change the diaper, feed it, burp it, make sure it isn't cold, change it's clothes, try to get it to go to sleep, etc. After all physical needs are taken care of, the infants still continue crying. It didn't take long to realize that its not a physical need that they are yearning to satisfy, but one of the heart.

So this has been my ministry for the last week or so: loving on the orphans there.

I try my best, but my capabilities in loving them is only temporary. I can hold them and rock them to sleep. I can give them kisses on the forehead, tickle them, read to them. But after I've left, I'm not so sure they still feel my love. This is something I'm trying to wrap my mind around while adjusting to Malawi. It makes me feel unaccomplished. Useless.

A friend of mine shared some encouraging words with me earlier today: God is love and love never fails. May God's love be your strength and your guide in all that you do in His service....

No comments:



Taco. Short for Takondwa. I stayed with this little boy's family in Matapila. He always came in room unexpectedly...so sweet

Kids at the water hole.

I took this picture at one of the feeding centers. They are more than likely orphans, there to get food.

This is Rosaline. She's about 2 months old and has a sweet twin brother named Chisomo.

Play day at the Crisis Nursery. We try to get the infants outside to enjoy the sun whenever we can.

These were just a few of the women waiting for us when we arrived in their village, Chiwangam'be. We bring them medical assistance once a month.

Mphatso is one of the orphans I like spending time with most. He tries to take care of other babies in the nursery by stroking their faces when they are upset. It is so sweet!